Friday, January 30, 2009

A personal finance expert not

Friday, January 30, 2009
.
EITHER I've begun to take blogging way too seriously or I'm under the illusion that I could be a blogger extraordinaire. Truth is, I simply want to write. But I keep forgetting why I've joined millions of others in the blogosphere.

If you've noticed the past couple of weeks I carried in my Sidebar a link to Money Hacker, a network of personal finance blogs that aim to teach people financial literacy. Of course, the network didn't bother to reply. I can't recall what exactly went on in my head when I applied for membership in the network. But I surmise I did it on the belief that I could teach people how to handle their money. And I even had the gall to write in my header that this is a personal finance blog.

Bollocks.

It took me nearly two decades to begin sinking my money in what I've always wanted: A house. Just because I've made the first step doesn't qualify me for the ranks of the financially sophisticated. In fact, the years leading to that last mortgage payment is laden with uncertainty. What if I lose my job? Knock on wood.

And so today I come back down to Earth, back to being just another mathematically challenged home buyer who writes to make 10-15 years of monthly mortgage payments more bearable. Keeping a private journal is all I really need. In no way does blogging bring me any inch closer to my financial goals. Can't stop blogging though. It doesn't earn money, but it does help my mind retain a big picture of wealth.

4 comments:

Dupax said...

keep on blogging dude... sometimes when you write down your thoughts, your brain retains the information much longer... i'm into blogs this too, what i learn on the web, i want to share to people... come and visit sometimes... pinoybreadwinner.blogspot.com

thanks

Anonymous said...

Thanks, dupax. I've visited your site. Read a number of entries on investing. Informative.

Ron Pavellas said...

Hello Pinoy,

I'm responding for several reasons:

1. You asked to be my friend through BlogCatalog
2. You are, here, wondering about the value and necessity of blogging
3. I have been to Olangapo, twice, when I was in the US Navy (1956 and 1957)
4. I just saw a film, here in Stockholm, with my wife which included a set of major characters who were Philippina/o (have I got that right?): "Mammoth," or in Swedish, "Mammut." It has a Swedish writer and director, but the dialog is in English and Tagalog.
5. My wife interacts with Phillipina colleagues who are also employed by her Swedish Company, Ericsson (mobile phone technology).

So, here is my response to "blogging":

I started mostly to have a place to where I could refer relatives and friends to my thoughts of the moment, usually the books, music and travel I was experiencing. It seemed a more efficient way to communicate, and it saves the recipient of the tedium of reading my endless emails.

Also, I find that my brain will (metaphorically) explode if I don't offload these impressions to make room for more.

In addition, I learn about myself in doing this, especially as I review my stufff over time.

I started almost two years ago and have posted 130 times. I currently get 15-25 hits a day, 80-85% from new people.

My satisfaction comes mainly from knowing that I now have a body of work in the blogosphere. I have received hits from around 50 countries. I have around 7-8 regulars and other friends who look every month or so.

I believe persistence and patience is the key. You seem a bit younger than I, so you have lots of time to build up a body of work, to learn from it and to focus, over time, the direction you will want to take your blog. I have eliminated a few old postings because they didn't quit fit anymore.

That's all for now; quite enough in fact!

Best wishes,

Ron

Anonymous said...

Hello, Mr. Ron!

Funny but I just left your site a few minutes ago. Your profile on BC caught my attention because of our age difference; it's always interesting to interact with people from a different age range, culture. I am indeed amazed at the quality and quantity of the work you've done for your blog. I will definitely need more hours to have a good peek at the growth of your blogging work, but will do that over time. Thank you so much for the advice; I value it coming from you who's definitely succeeded in sustaining your work in the blogosphere.

Cheers

 
◄Design by Pocket