Sunday, November 30, 2008

A cheque for 4 million ++ pesos

Sunday, November 30, 2008
.
.
Signing cheques for the first time gave me the creeps. Having to sign one for close to five million pesos is something that freaks me out. But this is something that I have to contend with right now.

The developer’s finance office, the broker says, wants me to sign another cheque, one for close to five million pesos instead of the one that I’ve issued for less than three million pesos. Yup, we’re talking millions here, and for ordinary folks like me any change in the figures can make my knees shake. The amount they want, obviously, is double the one I’ve already signed for. No, I don’t think I’m being duped; this is all, I believe, related to accounting matters and I wish I knew more about these things.


You see, when you buy a house or any property and can’t afford to pay in cold cash or produce the down payment upfront, you’ve got to choose a number of financing schemes that the broker enumerates.

They’ve got this so-called In-House Financing, with several variations, which actually means you’re getting financing from the developer itself. It looks attractive in the sense that it makes you feel you can afford the payment scheme. In my case, I got a scheme that involves paying the developer above 30 thousand pesos a month for about three years. What I pay in this period is my down payment, which is 30 percent of the net contract price, and during this time the developer does not impose interest charges on the price of the property. Right after completing the down payment I will then begin paying for the amortization of less then 40 thousand pesos a month for 10 years.

I don’t intend to continue with the In-House Financing scheme past the down payment period because bank financing offers more affordable interest rates. But it’s not that easy to avail yourself of bank financing unless you’re ready to put in equity or the down payment right upon obtaining such financing. On top of this, the bank takes time to investigate credit history, so if you’re in a hurry such as I was, chances are you’ll go for the In-House Financing on the proviso that the developer is open to any changes in the financing scheme for the property you’re buying.

So there, I signed the Contract to Sell, signed the cheques for three years. And oh boy, what a task! I had to make sure there were no mistakes on dates, figures. I realized it was impossible to sign my name in exactly the same way as the last cheque. Add to that fears of the unknown that sent shivers down my fingers.

Okay, I signed the cheques for three years and signed only one cheque for the balance. There was just no way I could get the bank to give me four cheque books in one go. You will need that many post-dated cheques unless you go for a financing scheme involving a shorter period like five years. Less the down payment, the balance would be a little less than 2.5 million pesos, so I wrote the amount on one cheque. Already, that sent shivers down my knees. The broker said it was okay. Apparently now, it’s not.

The developer wants me to sign a cheque for close to five million pesos. And that’s because they want me to add up the monthly obligations for the ten-year period, and these are figures that already include interest payments. Why would I include interest charges when the cheque is dated on the first month after the down payment?

Okay, fine, I can anyway change this lump sum cheque later when I have new cheque books from the bank.

Whew! A cheque for more than 4.5 million pesos.

Tell me if I'm being so stupid signing this cheque.

0 comments:

 
◄Design by Pocket